My wife and I splurged a little bit and chose to buy a small space heater, and we didn’t really need it for anything, but we figured that we could use the space heater for our room.
This would allow my wife and I to adjust the temperature control in the rest of the apartment and save money on bills, when we opened the box for our space heater, we noticed that there was a warning label that you were not supposed to leave space heater running while you weren’t watching it.
This meant that you would not be able to use the space heater overnight or while you weren’t at home. I figured that this was just one of those useless warning labels, and I completely ignored it. I splurged that space heater in, adjusted the temperature control to the rest of the house, and used our space heater during the night for a few weeks. However, one night, something bad happened. Our space heater became overheated while we were sleeping, and it melted the power cable. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the kitchen, and I realized that I smelled burnt rubber in the house. The space heater wasn’t working, and I noticed that the cord was burnt. You could see the bare wires underneath the rubber! Thankfully, the wires flipped the breaker, so the new space heater didn’t catch our apartment on fire. I was broken up though because I had heard horror stories of people’s houses catching on fire from space heaters, although I didn’t know it. I know we need to listen to warning labels next time.