I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I realized that I smelled burnt rubber in our house.
My husband and I splurged a little bit and decided to buy a small space heater. We didn’t necessarily need it for anything, but we figured that we could use the space gas furnace for our bedroom. This would allow us to adjust the control component in the rest of the home and save money on bills! When we opened the box for our new space heater, we noticed that there was a warning label that you were not supposed to leave space oil furnaces running while you weren’t around. This meant that you would not be able to use the space gas furnace overnight or while you weren’t at home. I figured that this was just one of those useless warning labels, and I actually ignored it. I plugged in space gas furnace in, adjusted the control component to the rest of the house, and used my space gas furnace during the night for a few weeks. However, one night, something bad happened. Our space gas furnace became hot while we were sleeping, and it melted the power cord. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I realized that I smelled burnt rubber in our house. The gas furnace wasn’t actually working, and I noticed that the cord was burnt. You could see the bare wires underneath the rubber! Thankfully, the bare wires flipped the breaker, so my space gas furnace didn’t catch my whole house on fire. I was shaken up though because I had heard horror stories of people’s houses catching on fire from space heaters, but I didn’t believe it. I guess we need to listen to warning labels next time.